Rear Admiral OB Daji
Rear Admiral Oladele Bamidele Daji was born into the family of Sunday and Rachael Daji on 24 October 1966 at Idoani in Ose LGA of Ondo State, South West Nigeria. He had his Primary education at the Holy Trinity Primary School Idoani from 1972 to 1978 and Secondary education at Federal Government College Enugu from 1978-83. Thereafter, he proceeded to the Nigerian Defence Acedemy (NDA) Kaduna in September 1984 as a member of the 36 Regular Combatant Course. On completion of the degree programme and military training at NDA, he was commissioned into the Nigerian Navy (NN) on 24 September 1989. R Adm OB Daji is married to Dr Feyisayo Yvonne Daji and blessed with 3 daughters; Oluwadamilola, Oluwaferanmi and Motunrayo.
MILITARY COURSES/INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED
The Senior Officer attended several military courses in various institutions, amongst which are:
- National Security and Strategic Studies Course – National Defence College, New Delhi India – 2012.
- Counter Intelligence Course – Defence Services Intelligence Agency Pakistan (June-July 2010).
- Critical Thinking and Security Analysis Course – Defence Intelligence School Abuja (Feb-March 2010).
- International Maritime and Port Security Course – Galilee College Israel (June 2009)
- Maritime Port and Harbour Security Management Course – US Anti-Terrorism Assistance Programme, Lagos (2008).
- Senior Staff Course – Armed Forces Command & Staff College Jaji, Senior Course 26 (2003-2004).
- Officers’ Long Course in Navigation and Direction – Nigerian Navy Ship QUORRA Apapa Lagos (January –December 2001).
- Junior Staff Course – Armed Forces Command & Staff College Jaji, Junior Course 48/99 (June – December 1999).
- Young Officers Intelligence Course, Nigerian Navy Intelligence School Apapa, Lagos (February – May 1995).
- Sub Lieutenant Technical Course, Nigerian Navy Ship QUORRA, Apapa Lagos (November 1991- December 1992).
- Nigerian Naval College Onne, Port Harcourt for Phase 1 Midshipman training (October 1988- April 1989).
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna, Officer Cadets’ Training, (1984 – 1988).
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED/QUALIFICATIONS
The Senior Officer also attended some educational institutions which include:
- Kofi Annan Peacekeeping Training Centre Accra, Ghana -Early Warning and Response Capacity Building for Preventive Peace Building” programme (2016).
- University of Madras, India – Master of Philosophy (M Phil) in Defence and strategic Studies. (2013).
- Cranfield University, United Kingdom – Master of Science (M Sc) in Global Security (2003).
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna – Bachelor of Science Degree, BSc (Hons) in Chemistry, (June 1988).
- Federal Government College Enugu – WASC/GCE O/L (1978-1983).
- Holy Trinity (Anglican) Primary School Idoani – First School Leaving Certificate (1972-1978).
APPOINTMENTS HELD IN THE NIGERIAN NAVY
Rear Admiral OB Daji began his career in the Nigerian Navy serving as a Watchkeeping Officer. As a Specialist Navigation & Direction officer, he served as Navigating Officer on various patrol boats and ships. He has also held other command and staff positions which include:
- Commandant, National Defence College, Abuja ( March 2021 till date).
- Flag Officer Commanding, Western Naval Command, Apapa- Lagos (April 2019 – March 2021).
- Director of Plans, Naval Headquarters, Abuja (September 2018 – March 2019).
- Chief Staff Officer, Western Naval Command, Apapa (January–August 2018).
- Director of Policy, Naval Headquarters, Abuja (January 2017–December 2018).
- Directing Staff, National Defence College, Abuja (October 2015 – January 2017)
- Deputy Director, Transformation Naval Headquarters, Abuja (March 2014 – 12 Oct 2015).
- Commandant Nigerian Naval Ship QUORRA, Naval Base Apapa (January – March 2014).
- Defence Adviser, Nigeria High Commission, New Delhi, India (30 Dec 10 – 31 Dec 2013).
- Deputy Director Operations, Defence Intelligence Agency, Abuja (14 Sep 09 – 15 Oct 10).
- Assistant Director Attaché Management, Defence Intelligence Agency, Abuja (16 Mar 09 – 13 Sep 09).
- Assistant Director Intelligence Analysis, Defence Intelligence Agency, Abuja (11 Feb 08 – 15 Mar 09).
- Executive Officer, NNS EKUN, Apapa (26 Jan 07 – 10 Feb 08).
- Security Officer to Chief of Naval Staff, Naval Headquarters Abuja (12 Apr 06 – 25 Jan 07).
- SO1 Records, Naval Headquarters, Abuja (9 September 2005 – 11 April 2007).
- Officer-In-Charge, Directorate of Naval Intelligence Annex, Apapa (21 Dec 04 – 29 Aug 05).
- Instructor Nigerian Navy Intelligence School, Apapa (19 Jul – 20 Dec 04).
- Naval Assistance to Chief of Logistics Naval Headquarters (April – July 2002).
- Naval Assistance to Chief of Personnel Naval Headquarters, Abuja (January – April 2002).
- Watch Keeping Duties NNS AGU (January – December 2000).
- Security Officer to Military Administrator of Edo State (August 1998 – May 1999).
- Security Officer to Military Administrator of Ondo State (August 1996 – August 1998).
- Staff Officer Grade 3 Operations, Directorate of Naval Intelligence Annex, Apapa – Lagos (May 1995 – August 1996).
- Instructor Nigerian Naval College ONURA, Onne (May 1994 – May 1995).
- Watch Keeping Officer NNS SIRI (July 1993-May 1994).
- Watch Keeping Officer NNS ARADU (April – July 1993).
- Watch Keeping Officer NNS AMBE(January- April 1993).
- Watch Keeping Officer NNS DAMISA (February 1990- November 1991).
- Under Training Officer NNS ERINOMI (February 1989-February 1990).
The senior officer consistently earned promotion to the next rank when presented to the Promotion Board as follows:
- Rear Admiral – 24 September 2016.
- Commodore – 24 September 2012
- Captain – 24 September
- Commander – 24 September 2002.
- Lieutenant Commander – 24 September 1997.
- Lieutenant – 24 September 1992.
- Sub-Lieutenant – 24 September 1989.
- Midshipman – 24 September 1988.
DECORATIONS AND AWARDS
Rear Admiral OB Daji is highly decorated and has received the following awards and medals:
- Distinguished Fellow of the National Defence College Nigeria, (fdc+) – 2016
- Grand Service Star – 2019.
- Distinguished Service Star (DSS) – 2013.
- Meritorious Service Star (MSS) – 2007
- Forces Service Star (FSS) – 2001.
- Distinguished Alumnus of the National Defence College (ndc) India – 2012.
- Passed Staff Course (psc) – 2003.
- Passed Junior Staff Course (pjsc) – 1999.
- Member Nigerian Institute of Management (Chartered) (MNIM) 2014.
- Golden Jubilee Medal (2010).
- Nigerian Navy Golden Jubilee Medal (2006)
- ECOMOG Medal (1991).
- Silver Jubilee Medal (1985).
Rear Adm Daji’s hobbies are gardening, walking, photography and reading/researching.
Rear Adm Daji’s contact details are as follows:
E-Mail Addresses: email@example.com, Daji.NN1450@navy.mil.ng
CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE NIGERIAN NAVY
Rear Admiral Daji has contributed significantly to the development of the Nigerian Navy and the country at large. While serving at the Defence Intelligence Agency, the senior officer was actively involved in the operations that led to the disarming of militants in Niger Delta in 2009. He was also a member of Presidential Committee that proffered strategies for curbing crude oil theft in Nigeria in 2016. The senior officer contributed immensely to the development of strategies for the Nigerian Navy’s fight against oil theft, piracy and other related crimes in Nigeria’s maritime domain. On his resumption as the 39th Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command (FOC WEST) on 9 April 2019, he mobilized units under command to re-double efforts in the fight againt theft of petroleum products, piracy/sea robbery and other criminalities within the Command’s maritime Areas of Responsibility. Also, as Field Commander of OPERATION AWATSE, Rear Admiral Daji led several operations to deter and deny oil thieves and pipeline vandals the freedom of action to operate with impunity at the Atlas Cove strategic facility for reception of refined petroleum products by NNPC. Atlas Cove and environs have been sanitized and this has led to significantly disruptions to NNPC pumping operations between Atlas Cove and Mosimi Depot. Since assumption of duty, the FOC through robust deployments has continued to esure the safe transit of NNPC nominated vessels. This has led to the safe delivery of petroleum products to designated discarge facilities and thus guaranteed continued availability of fuel across the country. Rear Admiral Daji also oversaw the establishment of Forward Operating Base Tarkwa Bay in Lagos State, from the land acquisiton process until final completion of construction works. The Unit will further ensure safe delivery of refined petroleum products to their destination and also offer rapid response to incidents at sea.