The College is structured into 3 branches namely the Academic Faculty, Administrative and Logistics Branch and the Centre for Strategic Research and Studies. The College is headed by the Commandant who is the Chief Executive. He is responsible to the College Governing Board of the College for education programme and administration of the College. Next in the hierarchy of authority is the Deputy Commandant who is also the Director of Studies (DOS) of the College. Others who make up the organisation structure of the College include the College Secretary, the Provost Centre for Strategic Research and Studies, Directors, Members of Directing Staff and Research Fellows.
The Academic Branch is headed by the DOS who is also the Deputy Commandant. The Branch consists of 7 departments with each department headed by a director. The departments are:
– The Department of Higher Military Organization and Operations (DHMO), headed by a Brigadier General.
– The Department of National and Military Strategy (DNMS), headed by an Air Commodore.
– The Department of Academic Research and Analytical Support (DARAS), headed by a Commodore.
– The Department of National and Geopolitical Affairs (DNGA), headed by an Ambassador who is also the Commandant’s adviser on international affairs.
– The Department of Curriculum and Programme Development (DCPD), headed by a Commodore.
– The Department of Information and Communication Technology (DICT), headed by an Air Commodore.
– The last is the Coordination Branch which is headed by the Director Coordination (D Coord). The D Coord is responsible for the detailed programming of the College academic activities, generation of teaching materials for the detailed programming of the College academic activities, generation of teaching materials and practical organization work related to the implementation of the course programmes of the College.
See profiles of all the Academic Director here
THE COLLEGE GOVERNING BOARD
The NDC Governing Board, is vested with the responsibility of directing the affairs of the College. The Board considers and approves policies and long-term plan of activities for the College. These include the programme of studies, courses and research as well as the annual budget of the College. The Honourable Minister of Defence is the chairman of the Board, while the Chief of Defence Staff, Chief of Army Staff, Chief of the Naval Staff, Chief of the Air Staff and Commandant National Defence College are members. The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Defence is the Secretary of the Board.
College Committee. The College Committee is responsible for the short and medium term academic and physical training at the College. The Committee also undertakes periodic reviews of various Government policies, as they affect the College. The Commandant is the chairman of the College Committee, with Deputy Commandant/Director of Studies, College Secretary, the Provost, and the Director Coordination as members. The Director of Administration is the Secretary of the College Committee.
Steering Group. The Steering Group is responsible for planning and implementation of the academic programmes of the College and offers advice on medium and long-term reviews. The Steering Group is headed by the Deputy Commandant/DOS while the College secretary, the Provost CSRS, all directors, members of the DS and research fellows, constitute the Steering Group. The Staff Officer 1 Coordination is the secretary of the Steering Group.